Monday, January 5, 2009

We Got Rain!

It was a cold and stinging rain, but it was over an inch of it nonetheless! And if you're a winter vegetable, you don't mind it being a bit chilly.


The broccoli is starting to get little nubs on it - can't
you just almost taste it! It won't be long now.


I also rec'd a link today from Herb all about the renewable energy system we're using when we pump water to the irrigation system.

http://herbandbarbara.com/index_files/Page2380.htm

I don't know how many of you might be planning to use any kind of renewable energy at home, or start your own little farm, but Herb and Leo sure made it look simple for me! All I have to do now is plug in the pump and make sure there aren't any fish in the end of the hose. oh, yeah, I found a new way to "fish" the other day. Poor little guys. Caught 2 of them that way. Turned them loose, but not sure how well they did after that experience. We're working on a permanent screen to cover the end of the hose so that won't happen again. And I thought the leaves were a problem.....

Well, so far all you guys have asked for is soybeans, and I will order some seed and see how it goes. I'm securing potatoes right now and wondered if you all had any favorites? If you do, let me know - send in a comment. Soon, I'll be starting seeds for our spring garden, too. It all comes up on us fast. I'll get a variety of tomatoes, peppers, melons, beans, eggplant, squash, cukes and zukes. What else you guys want to see this spring? Let me know and I'll do my best to secure seed and see what we can do.


The purple cabbage is starting to head up!

And if you wanted to do any growing yourself, let me know and I'll get you pricing info. I'll be getting in some organic veggie plant starts in 4" pots this spring for the shop, too.

There is a farmer's conference in February I'll be attending. It is open to non-members of TOFGA, too, so check out the website for info if you're at all interested in attending. It is being held in Kileen this year. If you have any interest in farming, and there are a few of you out there, you should come. It is a wonderful collection of farming minds, great speakers and workshops.

Well - keep warm and hang in there -the warmer days are just around the corner they say. 60's by Wednesday. I'll be sending out an email here soon, maybe tonight, regarding this weekend's pick up and a work day.


Reminder: if you read my blog on Neighborsgo, you know that the roosters are in jeapordy here in town. If any of you can come to the city council meeting next Monday night in support of us keeping our flock of chickens and roosters - it would be great. Meeting starts at 7 sharp - usually - and citizen's comments are early on the agenda. We get 3 minutes each and you don't have to live in Balch Springs to speak. You are members of a local farm here in town and have a stake and an interest in the topic. Read my letter to the council for more info on our position.



Marie
Eat Your Food - Naturally!

2 comments:

  1. How about sweet potatoes? Regular or maybe purple . . .
    http://www.hawaiipride.com/sweetpotato.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was planning on sweet potatoes - I'll check out your link. Thank you for the input!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment.